I woke up this morning and found that I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award again! This time it was by Cumuloquoise, who is a very new follower. I’ve just checked out her blog and it’s pretty awesome. You should all go check it out as well.
What’s the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is a way for newbie bloggers (blogs with under 200 followers) to promote their blog and check out other new blogs. The rules are pretty simple but they vary depending on who nominated you. For this round of the Liebster Award, the rules are pretty simple. Once you’ve been nominated, you:
- Answer the 11 questions set by the blogger who nominated you (don’t forget to link back to their blog!)
- Select 11 more blogs to nominate (if you don’t follow 11 blogs with under 200 followers, that’s okay—just nominate a few)
- Choose 11 questions to ask your nominees
- Let them know they’ve been nominated so they can keep spreading the love
So let’s get started!
11 questions set by Cumuloquoise
1. Why did you decide to blog in the first place?
I’ve tried blogging a few times in the past and it hasn’t really stuck. Now, a lot of publishing places want ‘web presence’ as an example of how awesome you are. So my friend Lucy suggested we start a group blog comprised of a few of the girls I did my postgrad with to kind of motivate each other. That blog is Our Paracosm. I wanted to do something a bit more personal, a bit more linked to my specific interests so I started Commas and Ampersands and now Our Paracosm is more of a side blog for me.
2. Name three of your pastimes or hobbies.
Obviously I’m a big reader and I like to watch quite a few TV shows. But sometimes I just have to get out of the house. I really like going on long walks around my neighbourhood and I live next to a conservation park so I can go for a walk up a mountain as well. I started motivating myself with the Walk to Mordor challenge a few years ago and ended up buying a Fitbit to keep track of my progress and now it’s just a habit to push myself to walk a bit further, get to the next bus stop instead of the one closest to my house, etc.
3. If you could interview anyone right now, who would it be and why?
I would love to interview JK Rowling. Harry Potter has been such a big part of my life and she seems like a genuinely lovely person. I would love to sit down with her and just chat with her about everything in her life.
4. If you could interview anyone who has already died, who would it be and why?
Going more personal, I’d like to interview my Nonno (my paternal grandfather). He died before I was born but everyone speaks of him with such love and reverence that I would really like a chance to get to know him.
5. Recommend a movie.
The Book Thief. The first thing that comes to mind about the novel is the beautiful writing style. I was worried that the movie adaptation would lose all of that. Instead, seeing the movie gave me a completely different perspective. I had been so caught up in the writing that I don’t think I fully appreciated what a genuinely touching story was being told.
6. Recommend a book.
I’m going to go with the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I picked this book up at the Lifeline Bookfest for a bargain, mostly because the title was intriguing. I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did. It’s an epistolary novel told entirely in letters to and from various characters. You get a real sense of the characters from the way they write and their different views on certain situations. I got so attached to those characters that I didn’t want to let them go.
7. Recommend an album.
To be honest, I don’t really buy very many albums myself. I listen to whatever my brother puts on in the car. I think the one I listened to most recently was Oh, What a Life by American Authors and I loved it.
8. Recommend a Youtuber.
Well, my brother has recently started up a YouTube channel called Game Raiders HQ, where he records himself playing a bunch of video games with friends. I’ve done a few episodes with him where we’re playing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and it’s great fun. I do have to endure a lot of mockery, though, because I’m nowhere near a proficient gamer.
9. If you could cosplay as any character, who would it be and why?
MERIDA. Although my father’s family is Italian, I got my mum’s Irish genes in full force. I’ve got pale skin, I burn within 10 minutes in the sun, and I’m a born ranga. For years, Ariel was the only ginger Disney princess so she was my favourite (hair colour is very important when identifying with princesses). When I found out that they were bringing out a curly ginger Disney princess, that just made my life. My friend Rhiain and I go to the Disney on Ice show every year and we’ve DisneyBounded a few times but I’m really envious of the people who put so much into their costumes and come out looking exactly like Disney princesses. You just see the kids’ faces light up when they see their favourite princess so close. I actually bought a bunch of fabric and a dress pattern to try and make the dress but sewing terrifies me for some reason. I swear, I’m going to make this dress and cosplay Merida eventually and it will be amazing.
10. Who is your celebrity crush?
Well, I’ve been doing Teen Wolf recaps at the moment, and I can’t go past Tyler Hoechlin. That smile, those muscles, that face. And he just seems like a nice person from all the interviews I’ve seen.
11. What’s your favourite fandom?
The Harry Potter fandom. I’ve seen so many amazing headcanons pop up on Tumblr recently, which is awesome because I’m rereading the Harry Potter books at the moment. I just love that even though it’s been seven years since the last book was published, and three years since the last movie hit the screens, the Harry Potter fandom is still going strong.
I’m pretty sure all the newbie blogs I follow have done this already so I’m just going to nominate one blog with a few different authors. I nominated these guys last time but they never got around to doing it. Now that they’re posting a bit more regularly, it’ll be fun to see their answers.
Our Paracosm is the group blog I share with some girls from uni. So I nominate Sharnai, Lucy, and Tammy for the Liebster Award.
Questions for my nominated blogs
1. So far you’ve posted mostly about TV shows but I know you all love reading as well so tell me about your favourite book or series. Why do you like it?
2. What book or TV show have you expected to like and ended up hating?
3. If you could go back in time and edit (structural or otherwise) one book or series before it was published, which would you choose and why?
4. Tell me about a character who has taken you by surprise for a good or bad reason.
5. You get to create the next Disney princess movie. It can be derived from an existing fairy tale or it be something all your own. What would it be?
6. If your home or place of work was suddenly attacked by zombies, what would your escape/survival plan be?
7. What did you want to be when you were younger? What (if anything) changed?
8. If you could easily master any skill, what would it be and why?
9. Can you play a musical instrument? If so, what can you play?
10. Do you have any superstitions?
11. What do you want to achieve in the next year?
Can’t wait to see your answers!